Visit My Website, A Personal Gallery!


Click on Logo Bar Below, to visit my website!


Friday, October 7, 2011

Fringed Edging: Bullion, Gimp or Braided?

Recently, I was inspired to look at fringes, added to my loomed edges, in a different light. Not all 'f-r-i-n-g-e' has to be close together, bunched up or contemplated to lay very close. As a matter of fact, fringes are also just as dramatic when the space 'in between' each length of beaded length,
is equally considered.


This sample of fringing I completed, on a latest looming, shows the dramatic effect that can be acquired by considering using larger beads and spacing them further apart. These white Swarovski Pearls range in size of 4mm to 10mm. I spaced each line of beads the distance apart to consider how the largest beads, at the bottom, will be effected. They do not touch, yet are so close.

This design of fringing reminds me of a wonderful Bullion Fringe surrounding a 1920's upholstered over stuffed chair or even thick Gimp and Braiding. Layers of beads, attached at the loomed edge, can really make a simple pattern become a piece of loomed art.

I passed beads across the edge four times to create this fringe. Each pass added a layer of beading to create the build.

6 comments:

  1. I just love your posts...always full of tips, suggestions or just down right beautiful bead work! You are an inspiration!!! Now where is that book!!! Hope it's coming out soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robbie! I wish I could show you mire, personally! As for the book, great news... The date is being confirmed next week, so I will be sure to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...your work is spectacular and you are a true inspiration! I just got my Bearcat loom and a LOT of delica beads. I used to do looming when I was younger with a small craft loom so after seeing your creations I became eager to try it again. I bought "Out on a Loom" by Margie Deeb and am now re-acquainting myself with the craft with one of her bracelets. I can't wait to see your book! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made my day, with your post! I love offering inspiration to pick up a loom, for the first time or 'again'. I have so many new techniques to share that will bring this form of bead weaving to the forefront.

    If you are interested in learning more, right now, prior to my book hitting the shelves, and can meet us on FaceBook, please send me a note to Request to join.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is incredible! I love your fringing ideas! I typically just leave the bracelet band be. You've inspired me to push my creative boundaries and try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Megan! U am glad to have inspired you. You can look through many of my finished pieces and notice I never leave the "inside" of a bead showing. So many beaded cuffs, no matter what stitch, are left "unfinished" in my eyes. Please be sure to share with me!

    ReplyDelete