Visit My Website, A Personal Gallery!


Click on Logo Bar Below, to visit my website!


Monday, May 10, 2010

Changing Your Warp Thoughts!

It is unfortunate, at this time, that my book is not in print. My Introduction states how I am out to 'completely change your past thoughts of how-to-loom', then make you love the warps, realizing how much you need them! This post is an exact example of my introduction.

Looming requires a bit more 'pre-planning' then most bead weaving projects, in my humble opinion. This would include realizing the finishing aspect of your bead looming, from the beginning. If you plan on a fringe or edging, of any kind, be sure to 'double the strength' of all outside edges. It may also include a 'split loomed necklace', having to count the warps across to acknowledge the opposite edge of one band, skip the center warps, then mark the other band width.

Warp your Loom 'two' warp threads short of what you actually need, using Nymo D as I do. As it goes, you always warp your loom 'one more' then the bead count width. I am now asking you to "warp the loom two warps short of the actual warp threads needed, or one number less then the bead count wide!" This count will now allow you to add the additional two 'outside warps' using a stronger thread, (I use 6lb Fireline), doubled for strength. Here is a picture of my newly warped loom, set up for the cuff I am creating.
Notice the outside warps are 'double strand' warps. This will not effect any portion of your looming, other then making it more stable to add an edging or fringe.

I suggested using Nymo, for the center warps, and Fireline, for the outside warps, because it is not only durable, but you will save money by not using something more expensive for every warp, yet you still have the strength your finished beading requires! In looming, the center beads truly take care of themselves, butting against each and holding up the warps.

Finally, I realize how I have been using a particular bead looming, to offer these techniques. Let me share a small photo of how it has been coming along.
I plan to explain every step taken, to create this type of edging, in up coming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment